Tuesday 21 May 2013

My pardon was negotiated –Alamieyeseigha

Former Governor of Bayelsa State, Chief Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, said in Lagos yesterday that the pardon granted him by President Goodluck Jonathan though negotiated, was in order. Alamieyeseigha, who spoke on the pardon which has generated outcry across the country, said the process which led to the pardon started during the administration of the late President Musa Yar’Adua.
He said: “Well, it (state pardon) started during the late President Yar’Adua’s reign. It was a pardon that was negotiated. People who don’t know what happened are the ones talking. But if I opened my mouth, those who are talking will keep quiet.
“President Goodluck Jonathan was part of the negotiating team. There is no person in this country that knows issues surrounding Alamieyeseigha better than Mr President. He was my deputy governor and all that transpired were known to him. I am already writing my memoir.
At the appropriate time, you will know. “My pardon was in order. Like I said, the pardon was negotiated and if I fulfil my own part of the bargain, why shouldn’t the Federal Government fulfil its part? President Yar’Adua actually brokered the state pardon deal for me; otherwise they would have killed me. Without Yar’Adua, I would have died by now.” Also, the Ijaw National Leader, Chief Edwin Clark, told northerners to forget the idea of producing president in 2015.
Clark said Jonathan should be allowed to recontest in 2015, adding that northerners should wait till 2019 after Jonathan completed his second term. He said: “We of the South- South believe that it in the interest of Nigeria that Jonathan should contest. No one should strike him out.
Movement of power or power rotation is not proper at this time. In the constitution of Nigeria every president has two elections to be contested. “Alhaji Shehu Shagari did it in 1979 and in 1983 he did it again.
Then in 1999, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo did it and in 2003 he contested again. In 2007, Alhaji Umaru Yar’Adua of blessed memory did it and if he had remained alive he would have done it again in 2011.
“So Jonathan is not a different person, he is a Nigerian, the president of Nigeria. Therefore, he too has the right to contest again, nothing new about it because constitution says you must contest for two elections and rule for eight years, it is only then you are disqualified.”

No comments:

Post a Comment